Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Being Temple Sherburne

Today is my day to cover the front desk while Temple takes her breaks. It's actually a nice change of pace. I answer the few calls that come thru, redirect people to the OTHER elevators so they can get where they're going, and contemplate the life cycle of paperclips.

Strangely, DCS is my first job in over 20 years where I don't handle Reception in addition to my other duties. Imagine, if you will, discussing a delicate payroll matter with an employee on the phone, while signing for a FedEx package. Meanwhile, there are two employees in front of you talking loudly while they wait for you to hang up so THEY can discuss delicate personnel matters with you. That is the life of a Payroll/HR/Front Desk/Office Manager for you. I don't recommend it as a career choice - the pay is horrible, and the working conditions are worse.

Question of the day - what were some of the strangest job duties you ever had? I mean the ones that weren't anywhere close to what you expected from the job title?

5 comments:

  1. Cleaning and/or fixing the toilets....hated that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planning a baby shower - for myself. I declined that task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try staying home with 5 kids - all under 7. Oh wait, you were there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technically, I was only staying home with 4 kids. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. under a title of "Logistics manager" would sometimes have to recieve and move (one by one) over 50 boxes of bathroom accessories from a pallet that delivery driver dropped off outside my office door..

    A.

    ReplyDelete

 Hey - look at that.  It's been a month, and I've not updated.   The Hair On Fire never really goes out around here.  It's Girl ...